Composer Academy at Cheltenham Festivals
Composer Academy is a programme for aspiring composers with Cheltenham Festivals.
What is Composer Academy?
- Composer Academy forms part of Cheltenham Festivals Spotlight Talent Development Programme.
- Spotlight aims to support artists at all stages of their careers to take the next step.
- Composer Academy specifically supports early-career composers (aged 18+ years) who are looking to gain professional advice and mentoring to further their career.
- The programme is stimulating, wide-ranging and has proved highly influential in its first seven years.
- During the programme, the 12 participants have their compositions work-shopped, performed and recorded; attend a range of premiere performances at the Cheltenham Music Festival, and have access to industry professionals in a series of panel talks that discuss craft and contemporary aesthetics along with career development.
How much will it cost?
Heavily subsidised by a number of generous funders (trusts and individuals) and due to the reduced, intensive nature of the experience, course fees are kept low.
Applicants who are not selected as full Academy participants will be invited to attend as observer composers.
How do I apply?
You will be asked to tell us a bit about yourself, why you’d like to take part, what you’d like to write and upload some examples of your recent work. Please note that you only have to submit your Academy composition if you are selected for the scheme.
An initial selection panel will choose a long-list of applicants with a 50/50 gender balance. These applications will then be submitted to the final selection panel, who will make a blind choice entirely based on merit.