Cheltenham Music Festival
30 June – 15 July 2018
Please note that applications to volunteer at Cheltenham Music Festival 2018 are now closed. Please check back here in March 2019 for information on volunteering at Cheltenham March Festival 2019.
The Cheltenham Music Festival is looking for friendly, hard-working and enthusiastic volunteers. Volunteers will be needed from Tuesday 3 July – Monday 16 July to help with all aspects of running a successful festival. This would be a valuable experience especially for those passionate about arts administration, events management and stage production.
In return for volunteers’ hard work, UK travel expenses are paid and accommodation is provided if not local (in shared apartments), as is a small contribution towards living costs. You will also receive a free Cheltenham Festivals T-shirt to wear during the festival and to keep. And of course, the opportunity to get behind the scenes at a famous festival with the chance to see great events for free!
The work involved can be demanding, but the long days involve a lot of variety and hugely enjoyable teamwork along the way. This work includes:
Front of House
- Welcoming audience to the venue
- Queue management
- Stewarding and directing audience to their seat
- Selling Programme Books, CDs and other merchandise
- Assisting audience members with enquiries
Artist Liaison/ Dressing Room Assistant
- Maintaining the dressing rooms/ artist space
- Helping to distribute welcome packs
- Attending rehearsals and being on hand for any questions or requests
Stage Support and Venue Preparation
- Preparing the stage for performance – laying out chairs for an orchestra, moving pianos, or setting up for talks.
- Assisting with get-ins and load-outs
- Changing over music stands or chairs during the intervals or between pieces
- Page Turning
- Liaise with external people such as venue staff, piano tuners, and the BBC to help events run smoothly
- Drives could include artists/speakers, crew, volunteers, staff or kit
- Driving our Festival Cars (if applicable)
Volunteers are asked to commit to full time for the duration of the Festival. Working hours during the festival are long and tiring. Days often start at 8.30am for morning briefing and don’t finish until the last event has finishes, sometimes as late as 11pm.
We are looking for highly motivated and reliable volunteers who will be happy to do whatever task is required of them. Volunteers will need to have good teamwork skills, initiative, and the stamina to work long hours. Evidence for a passion for music, experience with ensembles and/or skills in events management would be a plus.
Being a ‘runner’ at the Cheltenham Music Festival is a good place to start for anyone considering a career in arts administration or events management—and it’s a great thing to have on your CV. Past volunteers have gone on to work in all sectors of the arts, including classical music agencies, Wigmore Hall, the BBC Proms and the London Philharmonic Orchestra.
Applications for volunteering at the Music Festival have now closed. Check back here in March 2019 for information on volunteering at Music Festival 2019..
WORKING TOWARDS EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES
Charity No: 251765