Cheltenham Jazz Festival, 2-7 May 2018
The Cheltenham Jazz Festival is looking for friendly, hard-working and enthusiastic volunteers. Volunteers will be needed from Tuesday 1 May – Tuesday 8 May to help with all aspects of running a successful festival. This would be a valuable experience especially for those passionate about arts administration, events management and stage production.
In return for volunteers’ hard work, UK travel expenses are paid and accommodation is provided if not local (in shared apartments), as is a small contribution towards living costs. You will also receive a free Cheltenham Festivals Jazz T-shirt to wear during the festival and to keep. And of course, the opportunity to get behind the scenes at a famous festival with the chance to see great events for free!
The work involved can be demanding, but the long days involve a lot of variety and hugely enjoyable teamwork along the way. This work includes:
- Furniture distribution
- Venue set-up
- Backstage/Artist Area set-up
- Site vibing / dressing the site
- Keeping the site tidy
- Checking banners and posters are still secure
- Maintaining levels of security in No-Access areas
- Waste / Recycling Management
- Erecting banners
- Securing posters and publicity
- Maintaining directional signage
- Maintaining venue signage
- Directing audience members to locations and venues
- Advising audience members of site facilities
- Supporting less-able audience members to their venue
Front of House
- Welcome audience to the venue
- Queue management
- Tearing tickets and directing audience to their seats
- Leading an evacuation if necessary
- Preparing the venue for the next event
- Answering telephone or radio calls
- Typing or other word processing
- Issuing Radios, stationery, venue kit, etc.
- Responding to call-outs
Artist Liaison / Dressing Room Assistant
- Supporting the Artist Manager
- Maintaining the dressing rooms/ artist space
- Assisting artists with their preparations or requests
- Sound and lighting assistance
- Setting up the stage for rehearsal and performance
- Assisting artists / performers
- Drives could include artists / speakers, crew, volunteers, staff or kit
- Driving our Festival Cars (if applicable)
- Responding to any radio calls asking for assistance
- Preparing the stage for performance – chairs, tables, water, equipment, etc.
Volunteers are asked to commit to full time for the duration of the Festival. Working hours during the festival are long and tiring. Days often start at 8.30am for morning briefing and don’t finish until the last event has finishes, sometimes as late as 11pm.
We are looking for highly motivated and reliable volunteers who will be happy to do whatever task is required of them. Volunteers will need to have good teamwork skills, initiative, and the stamina to work long hours. Evidence for a passion for Jazz and/or skills in events management would be a plus.
To apply to be a volunteer please fill in our online application form below.
For any queries please contact Anna Jukes firstname.lastname@example.org. Closing date for applications is Friday 23 February. First round interviews will take place the week commencing 5 March. If you have not heard back from Cheltenham Festivals by 3 April unfortunately your application has not been successful.
WORKING TOWARDS EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES
Charity No: 251765