For directions to Gloucester Cathedral, visit the City of Gloucester website: thecityofgloucester.co.uk
Due to limited space, parking in the cathedral close is restricted to pass holders.
For more information about parking in and around Gloucester, visit the Gloucester City Council website: gloucester.gov.uk
A warm welcome awaits you at Gloucester Cathedral – one of the finest medieval buildings in the country and steeped in history, from royal coronations and burials to Harry Potter film sets. Begun in 1089 and remodelled over four centuries, its architectural magnificence encompasses Norman and English Gothic styles. The extraordinary fan-faulted medieval cloisters and Great East Window are national treasures and the Lady Chapel houses some of the finest Arts & Crafts glass in the country.
On the east side of the Cloister is the Chapter House which was constructed by Abbot Serlo in the early 1080’s. Each day the monastic community gathered there and a Chapter of the Rule of St Benedict was read. The Chapter House was also where internal business was transacted, along with the election of officials. Today, the Chapter House is used for many Cathedral events, including world class musical recitals.