Cheltenham Jazz Festival and Endsleigh have teamed up to launch a national competition to find an emerging student jazz star. All entrants will have their music heard by industry experts, and the winning act will get the chance to perform on the Free Stage at Cheltenham Jazz Festival in the spring.
The 2014 judging panel will consist of Lewis Carnie, Festival Chair and Head of Programmes at Radio 2 and 6 Music, Marc Connor, Music Manager at Air MTM (and Manager of jazz megastar Jamie Cullum), and Tony Dudley Evans, Programme Adviser to Jazzlines, Town Hall / Symphony Hall and Cheltenham Jazz Festival.
Cheltenham Jazz Festival will also provide the winning band with the following:
- Complimentary return train tickets for up to four people, valid between any stations served by CrossCountry trains.
- VIP wristbands for each member of the band, which entitles them access to the VIP Hospitality Lounge and hang out in the VIP garden (valid for Saturday 3rd May)
- Complimentary tickets for the band to see Gilles Peterson and Snarky Puppy at Cheltenham Town Hall, 10.30pm – 1.30am, Saturday 3rd May.
- Complimentary box of Westons cider
For a chance of winning this amazing prize, please visit: hub.endsleigh.co.uk/jazz
- The competition is open to all students currently enrolled on a full time course at university or place of higher education
- Applicants should provide a YouTube or SoundCloud link to a one track recording of their music. This should be done via hub.endsleigh.co.uk
- Submitted music must be ‘jazz’ or one of its related genres including swing, blues, funk and soul.
- The judges’ decision is final.
- The winning act will perform on Saturday, May 3 on the Free Stage in Montpellier Gardens – as part of Cheltenham Jazz Festival 2014.